Sunday, August 29, 2010

Surrounded...

This week, we had a little drama at the house. Around 2pm on Wednesday, just after putting Sophie down for her afternoon nap we heard a very loud rapping on the door.

I answered the door and was face to face with Atascadero's finest. The guy had one hand on his gun holster and another hand on a piece of paper. I say hello, he looks at me for a second and says:

"Are you John Gomez?"

John Gomez was the previous resident of the house that we were now renting. I had seen letters addressed to him.

"No!" I said, "He used to live here but moved July 16th".

The cop looked at me for a long second, then with a bit of disappointment in his voice replied "Do you know where he is?"

"No. Do you want the property management's office number?"

"No thanks." He turned and headed back to his car.

At that point a neighbor's car slowly drove by on our small street, and that's when I noticed the three police prowlers strategically parked in front of my house. Two other officers were positioned somewhere around the back of my house. The cops had us surrounded. Nomally, a car goes by once every 6 hours in front of my house, but of course one of my neighbors just happens to drive by at the exact time that my house resembled the Waco standoff.

What a great way to introduce ourselves to the neighborhood.

Written by Chris Johns

No comments:

Post a Comment